Sunday, August 31, 2008


Since Thursday I am the proud owner of a Nikon D700. Yes, I just bought a D300 in December but I just couldn't resist getting back to a full frame SLR. I never did like the tiny viewfinders of my Fuji S2, D70s, D200, D300, always hated the 1.5 conversion factor. It's so nice to use a 50mm lens as a 50mm lens, et cetera.

I am still getting to know my new friend but I can tell you Nikon's new FX sensor is simply amazing. Images shot at ISO 3200 are brilliant. I simply love the feel and sound of the shutter. It has a smoother feel and more precise sound about it (compared to the D300). With the added high speed sensitivity I am now using the auto-ISO feature. I simply set the camera in aperture mode, the lens at f8, low shutter speed at 1/60th, and high ISO at 3,200. This is a great walk-around configuration.

So, my D300 is gone, as are my couple of DX lenses. I have numerous film lenses I can now put back to use but I expect to buy a 70-200 f2.8; once new replacement appears.

Photo: Stolben, Germany
Camera: Nikon D300

No comments: